We see an unfinished panoramic street view of the Linke Wienzeile (engl. Left Wienzeile) between the Pilgrambrücke bridge on the left and the beginning of the arching of the Wienfluss river towards the Naschmarkt on the right side of the picture. The Linke Wienzeile runs from the centre of Vienna at Karlsplatz square out of town to the west as a main road. It is also a one-way street; in the opposite direction, the Rechte Wienzeile (engl. Right Wienzeile) runs on the opposite side of the Wienfluss River. The river was laid in a concrete bed in 1895-99 and in the following years the streets were extended on both sides. In the area close to the city centre, the Wien river was vaulted, thus creating parks and squares above (right edge of the picture). In terms of construction, the Linke Wienzeile is mainly characterized by the Wilhelminian period (german Gründerzeit), later more modern forms of construction replaced older predecessor buildings or remaining gaps.
Some striking or well-known buildings in this area are:
Number 102 known as “Türkis Rosa Lila Villa” in the left area of the panorama, easy to recognize by the coloring and with the lettering “Lesben- & Schwulenhaus” (english Lesbian & Gay House). The building 98/100 on the right is called Pilgram-Hof and was built in 1892 according to the plans of the architect Peregrin Zimmermann.
The Hubert-Feilnreiter-Hof is the name given to the prefabricated block (german Plattenbau) on the right-hand side of the picture (No. 72-76, or Magdalenenstrasse 3-7), built in the 1960s according to the plans of the architect Josef Seeberger. It replaced the simple, partly still village-like buildings of the so-called Ratzenstadl.
In our archive you will find another streetview of the Linke Wienzeile, further central, including the Wienzeilenhäuser by Otto Wagner in Art Nouveau (german: Jugendstil) style.