Maximilianstraße is one of Munich’s most important 19th-century boulevards and is today considered an exclusive shopping street. The street was built from 1852 onwards according to plans by the architect Georg Friedrich Christian Bürklein. The facades of the buildings along the entire street show elements of different style epochs, such as neo-Gothic and Renaissance with clear Italian influences. It runs from Max-Joseph-Platz at the Munich Residenz in a south-easterly direction to the Isar. Here we are looking at the south side of the street, at the façades of the two street blocks opposite the Bavarian State Opera on Max-Joseph-Platz.
On the right in the panorama you can see the Münzarkaden at Maximilianstraße 6/8. They were built in the 19th century as front facades in front of the former Royal Mint. The arcade front, crowned with figures (not preserved), was built between two corner wings by Friedrich Bürklein 1857-1863. In the gable of the left corner wing, coats of arms with the symbolism of Bavaria and the city of Munich can be seen. At the time of the photograph, the Münzarkaden housed shops of Hermes, Wempe and Chanel.
On the left we see the so-called Haylerblock with the house numbers 10/12/14/16. This also goes back to the plans of Friedrich Bürklein and was built in 1864 with a raised part at no. 14. Tenants include Marni, Fochtmann, Omega, Jimmy Choo, Gebrüder Hemmerle Juweliere, Montblanc, Blancpain, Fendi, Hublot, Brunello Cucinelli, Galerie Fred Jahn and Van Cleef & Arpels. At No. 10, the lettering L. Kielleuthner still refers to the former men’s fashion and uniform shop of Ludwig Kielleuthner, which existed until 1969.
The buildings on Maximilianstrasse were built in the Maximilian Style named after King Maximilian II, whose main representative was the architect Friedrich Bürklein. The intention was to create a unique architectural style that was based on the neo-Gothic style developed in England, had elements of Italian façade architecture and is classified as Historicism.
This panorama can be extended to the left to the Altstadtring and to the right around the already completed Palais Toerring-Jettenbach, the former main and residence post office of Munich.