History of Alfred Brodauf Street
Our panorama shows the west side of Alfred-Brodauf-Street between Ernst-Bauch-Straße (left) and Aue’s Altmarkt (right / old market). It is one of the oldest streets in Aue and was already mentioned in 1641 as Hintere Gasse. In 1897, when it was built with 20 houses, it was called Marktstrasse. Ernst Papst settled in Alfred-Brodauf-Straße with his tin coil factory. Here one could still discover a piece of “Old Aue”, which was also evidenced by the pub of the same name. Its bar, which was integrated into a huge barrel, was a striking feature.
In Alfred-Brodauf-Straße there was a lively life in crafts and trade. Among other things, the Paul Selbmann print shop/publishing house was located here, where the “Auer Tageblatt” was produced. In 1906 the street was named “Ernst Papst Straße” in honour of the entrepreneur, honorary citizen of the town and co-founder of the voluntary fire brigade, Ernst Papst. After 1945, the street was renamed Alfred Brodauf Street. He was a regional court director, LDP democrat in Dresden and a friend of the publisher Paul Selbmann.
The row of Wilhelminian-style commercial buildings was built between 1910 and 1914. The new building of the Erzgebirgssparkasse (savings bank) on the right in the picture was built in 1997. It replaced a row of two-storey old buildings that had been preserved for a long time and still characterised the Altmarkt on this side during the GDR era. The building with the grey façade to the left was built in 1911 according to plans by the architect Otto Juhrich. For decades it was the location of the specialist shop “Walter Wappler Puppen- und Damenfrisiersalon”. At the time of the photograph, we see in the shops, from left to right: lawyers Dr. Ternick & Collegen, pro Familia, Parfümerie Sophia, Wäschetraum, Café Moments, Jeans Boutique and the Sprakasse.
There is a second series of photographs of this street frontage from May 2022, a small preview of which can be found under the detailed images.
This street view is part of our exhibition project “Stadt.Bild.Aue” for the 850th anniversary of the city of Aue in the Erzgebirge.