This Hamburg Cityscape runs along the Zollkanal canal opposite the historical Speicherstadt. On the left we see one of the five main churches of Hamburg – Sankt Katharinen. On the right we see the street front Zippelhaus. It is named after the word Zippel, a north german version of Zwiebel, which means onion. This goes back to when there was an actual building called Zippelhaus, existing here from 1535 to 1888. There the greengrocer women of Bardowick had their stalls for vegetables (and onions). Today the buildings in the street are all from the Gründerzeit era, including (from left to right) the Katharinenhof, the House Rademacher, the Transporthaus, and the former Nobelshof. The latter was once built for the company of Alfred Nobel, the swedish inventor of dynamite and trustor of the Nobel Prize.
Sankt Katharinen is the church for sailors in Hamburg. The oldest parts of the church date back to the 13th century. It was first mentioned in 1256 as the church of the community on the Elbe islands Grimm, Cremon, Brook, Wandrahm and Kehrwieder. The tower with a height of 117 metres was built in 1657 and bears the crown of the holy Katharina. It was reconstructed in 1957, following destruction in WWII.Hamburg Streetlines Archive