The Untermarkt (lower market) in Görlitz was originally the only market of the city. From the 15th century on new names appear like Niedermarkt. Similar to the main square in Wroclaw (Poland) the square was also named Ring for a long time. And similar to Wroclaw as well, the square is divided by a block of buildings in its middle. In Görlitz that block was named Zeile or Mittelzeil and here wee see the south side of the Zeile in winter. On the left we also see the Neptunbrunnen (Neptune Fountain) built in 1756 and behind it at the left edge a part of the Rathaus (City Hall).
The Zeile is dominated by the Waage building on the right here. It was built in 1600 by Jonas Roskopf on the base of an older gothic building from 1423. This building housed the Akzise (for food taxation) of the city till the 19th century. Left of it we see a number of patrician buildings, the most prominent being a yellow baroque style building from 1725 which bears the emblem of its owner then – P. Christian Hilliger from Schneeberg (Saxony).