The Eilenburg station was built in 1871 and thus comparatively late in the railroad history of central Germany. However, at that time a remarkable building in the style of historicism with borrowings from the Victorian style was created in the heyday of industrialization, which is now a cultural monument on the list of monuments in Saxony. The red brick building bears the coat of arms of the town of Eilenburg on the right head. The tower on the west side is characteristic, while the east side with a large waiting room was added as an extension in 1896. The ensemble of the station includes, in addition to the station building, two water towers and two bridgeheads, which thus represent an important testimony to the transport development of the city. The Eilenburg train station is located at the end of Bahnhofsstraße about 900 meters south of Eilenburgs city center.
Railroad history of Eilenburg
One year after the construction of the building, the first train line from Falkenberg (Elster) to Halle (Saale) stopped at Eilenburg station. From November 1874, there was a connection to the trade fair city of Leipzig. In addition, the Leipzig line was extended to Wittenberg in 1895 and the line to Wurzen was added in 1927. At the end of the connection to Leipzig, the Eilenburger Bahnhof station (which no longer exists) was built there as a terminus, which later became the most important freight center for the Leipzig (and thus at that time the entire German) book industry. In the 20th century, Eilenburg station was included in the long-distance connections Krakow-Erfurt, Frankfurt (Oder)-Mönchengladbach and Cottbus-Eisenach, among others. In 2000, long-distance traffic was discontinued.