Dresden-Neustadt station is located north of Dresden’s Elbe embankment on the Neustadt side at Schlesischer Platz (Silesian Square). It is the second major railway station in the Saxon state capital (next to the main station). Dresden Neustadt is located on the territory of the former independent town of Altendresden, which was first incorporated into the opposite Dresden in 1549 and rebuilt as “Neustadt” (Newtown) after a town fire in 1685.
Railway history of Dresden
Railways of the first German long-distance railway line Leipzig-Dresden have been running here since 1838. They terminated at Leipzig Station, the structural relics of which can still be found behind Dresden-Neustadt Station (and are to be redeveloped). In 1847, the Silesian Station was opened next to it, and from 1852 there was an inner-city connecting line to the Bohemian Station on the old town side (today the main station).
Dresden-Neustadt station architecture
Between 1892 and 1901, the railway traffic in Dresden was reorganised and in this context the station Dresden-Neustadt was built from 1898. Planned by the architects Otto Peters and Orkar Dürichen, the building was constructed in the forms of reduced neo-baroque and neo-classicism, which already refers to the reform architecture typical of Dresden in the early 20th century. Behind the façade, the platforms were raised and covered with a steel-glass or pumice stone construction. The reception building facing Schlesischer Platz presents itself as a broad, symmetrically structured structure with a reception hall in the elevated central section. This area is clearly visible on the façade, flanked by two high portals accentuated with large glass surfaces. The central section is accentuated by an attached, pyramid-shaped glass hipped roof, which also illuminates the glazed ceiling inside.
The lines to Leipzig and Görlitz run via Dresden-Neustadt, connecting Dresden to long-distance destinations in Berlin, Hamburg, Breslau or West Germany. The right side wing once housed the royal reception rooms, which were rededicated in 1923-1945 for the “Museum of Saxon Railway History”. The Dresden Transport Museum was later founded from this collection.