Potschappel Town Hall, Dresdner Strasse
Built in 1902 as the town hall of the small community of Potschappel (then with a population of about 9,000) on the southwestern edge of Dresden, the magnificent building now serves as the seat of the mayor of the town of Freital in Saxony. The representative neo-Renaissance building is enclosed by the Glückauf pharmacy on the left and the former department store building on the right edge of the panorama and is of local historical significance.
100 years of Freital
The economic development of the region around today’s Freital is closely linked to coal mining. As a result of growing industrialization, the Saxon villages of Deuben, Döhlen and Potschappel grew into important locations until the beginning of the 20th century. Finally, in 1921, the decision was made to merge the three communities and after much back and forth, the name Freital was settled on, derived from “free valley of the Weisseritz river.” After an eventful century, from the bombing in World War 2 to the great flood at the turn of the millennium, Freital celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2021.
When the Potschappel town hall was built in 1902, it was distinguished by its dominant clock tower with volute gable and weather vane. Even after the municipality merger, the building is still used for administrative purposes. Next to the council hall, on the second floor, there is a solemn wedding hall, which can be used for weddings. The pharmacy with its Art Nouveau facade, built at the same time, is also still in use today.