The Wyspa Spichrzów (Granary Island, german: Speicherinsel/Spicherstetten) lies east of the Glowne Miasto (german: Rechtstadt), the main historical city centre of Gdansk (german: Danzig). Here we see a river front view along the Stara Motlawa between the bridge Zielony Most on the left and the bridge Most Krowi on the right of the panorama. The buildings we see are reconstructed storehouse buildings (the Granaries) of the old Speicherinsel (Wyspa Spichrzów) in timber framed construction style.
Granary Island was formed in 1576 after the New Motlawa (Nowa Motlawa) was ditched and an island formed between the Stara Motlawa and the Nowa Motlawa. Here there had been up to 340 storehouses and the whole island got a very distinctive character. It was the storing place of the harbour of Gdansk and for decades it was protected by a night ban. After being destroyed in WWII only some areas have been rebuilt so far, mostly around the central ulica Stagiewna (formerly Milchkannengasse) and ulica Spicrzowa (formerly Judengasse). Currently the northern area of the island is being redeveloped with a large real estate project. The reconstructed buildings in this panorama serve as restaurants and mostly office spaces, for example for the polish social insurance agency ZUS.