The St. Annenfleet is a very short canal section in Hamburg’s Speicherstadt and is located on the St. Annenufer. It is located between Neuerwegsbrücke on the left, where Brooksfleet ends, and St. Annenbrücke on the right, where Holländischbrookfleet begins. As part of the historic Speicherstadt, the Fleet has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2015. The block of buildings on the St. Annenufer bears the designation “Block R” in the Speicherstadt structure.
City Hall of the Speicherstadt
On St. Annenufer, to the right of the image, we also find the so-called Speicherstadt Town Hall. It was built until 1904 as the headquarters of the then Hamburger Freihafen-Lagerhaus-Gesellschaft (HFLG) and was erected and planned by the firm Hanßen & Meerwein and the architect Johannes Grotjan. The magnificent building in eclectic neo-Renaissance style stands out from the brick Gothic warehouse buildings of the Speicherstadt.
The Hamburg Coffee Museum
Also on St. Annenfleet is the Burg Coffee Museum in the building at St. Annenufer 2, now known as the Genuss-Speicher – here in the centre of the picture. Coffee was stored and processed in the historic coffee warehouse built in 1896 from the beginning by Hansen & Studt. Today, the Burg family runs the Hamburg Coffee Museum here, where you can learn all about the Germans’ favourite drink and Hamburg as the coffee capital. The building houses the only vaulted cellar in the Speicherstadt and the exhibition features tools and machines, roasters and mills, filters and pots, advertising and curiosities relating to coffee.