Our streetline panorama shows Schneeberger Strasse in the centre of Aue in the Ore Mountains. Starting at the Altmarkt on the left, it runs as a main road to the crossroads on the right of the picture, crossing the Zwickauer Mulde. At the crossroads on the right, it bends to the north/north-west from the main road and continues as a small side street.
Schieck house and bridge
Schneeberger Straße is a central shopping street with a wide variety of shops and businesses. On the left at the corner of Altmarkt and Wettinerstraße is the historic Hansa-Haus, built in the Bauhaus style in 1936. To the right are several Wilhelminian-style commercial buildings dating from 1896 to 1900. On the other side of the Mulde is the residential and commercial building by Carl August Schieck (Schieck-Haus). Initially used as a plumber’s workshop, hence the guild sign on the tower of the building, the business also began selling household goods and toys and specialised in model railways. The well-known shop closed for good on 9 December 2011.
Although the bridge over the Mulde is still called the “Schieck Bridge” today, it had nothing to do with the craft business, as the correct name is actually “König-Georg-Brücke”. Formerly known as Sandbrücke, it is immortalised as a wooden bridge in the Auer town coat of arms.
The junction to the left of the Altmarkt is also well-known. The so-called “Engel-Kreuzung” was long known for its special hanging traffic lights. On 3 September 1931, Aue was given after Iserlohn and Berlin-Charlottenburg, Aue was the third city in Germany to have this traffic light.
This panorama was created for the 850th anniversary of the town of Aue in 2023.