The Salzgäßchen (engl. salt alleyway) is a short street between the Leipzig market square and the Reichsstrasse in the old town of Leipzig. The northern side depicted here shows from left to right the Handelshof, the old stock echange and the old city hall. The Handelshof has been one of the big inner city trade fair buildings and has been redeveloped until 2011. Today the front facing the Salzgäßchen is mainly inhabiting the Steigenberger Grand Hotel. The old stock exchange has been built between 1678 and 1687 following demands by merchants from Leipzig. It is one of the most prominent baroque era buildings in the city. It was used as a stock exchange until the (meanwhile destroyed) new stock exchange was built in 1887. Today it is mainly used for cultural events. The old city hall stands on the site of its predecessor from the 14th century. It’s architecture from the Renaissance era originates from the plannings of then mayor Hieronymus Lotter in 1556/57. Up to the early 20th century it has been reconstructed several times. Today it houses the Stadtgeschichtliche Museum (museum of town history) with magnificent rooms like the grand ballroom and the Ratsstube (counsil room) as well as the impressive treasure chamber. Around the building one can find europes longest inscription.
This Panorama was captured in May 2011