This is the southside of the Great Ring of Breslau (Wroclaw Rynek), of which we had previously published the northsite and its westside [a click on the panorama above activates the zoom].This side was also called the “Goldene-Becher-Seite” (engl: the golden cup side) as well as the “Seite beym alten Galgen” (engl: side at the old gibbet). The main market square of Wroclaw is layed out as a wide ring around a middle block of buildings. Wroclaw was one of the german cities destroyed very heavily at the end of WWII and hence it is not surprising that most of the buildings on this side of the square are reconstructions of the following years. However most had been reconstructed to their looks in the early 19th century and not to their pre-war facades. One of the original pre-war buildings here is the Art Nouveau building “Unterm Engel” (No. 13 “Below the Angel”), the second from the right edge, which bears an angel on top looking down on the square. Also the trade house building Stein & Koslowsky in No. 25 is an original from 1906, the 4th building from the left edge.
The central building with three orange gables (No. 19) was called the “Haus zum Galgen” (house at the gibet), once the place of execution was situated in front of it. This side of the square was later named after the “Haus zum Goldenen Becher” (No. 26 – house of the golden cup) built in 1909, which has been scaffolded in this panorama. Another detail you might better see with the detail images on the right, it is snowing in this panorama.
Wroclaw is a European Capital of Culture in 2016 (together with San Sebastian in Spain). Wroclaw (german: Breslau) has been the capital of the historic region Silesia (german: Schlesien).
This cityscape panorama of Breslauer Ring was presented in week 16 of our 101 weeks 101 cities of europe project.