The Luban Marketsquare (Rynek)
In the center of the market square (Rynek) of Luban (german Lauban) stands once again a square block of houses with the Kramarska Tower (german Krämerturm), which can be seen in the center of the picture. The historic block, although only slightly damaged, was demolished in the 1950s except for the Krämerturm. However, from 1997 to 2002 the buildings were restored and fitted with stores.
The Kramarska Tower is the last remnant of the town’s Gothic town hall from the 13th century. In the 16th century, the current town hall was built, which is located on the south side of the Rynek and stands out here behind the Kramarska Tower as an apparent second spire.
Founded in 1220, Lauban belonged to the Kingdom of Bohemia, the Electorate of Saxony, Silesia (as part of Prussia) and since 1945 to Poland. From 1346, Lauban was a member and co-founder of the Upper Lusatian League of Six Towns – this regionally important political union existed until 1815 and is considered the longest existing German alliance of towns. Lauban today is the only Polish city of the former alliance the other five cities Görlitz, Kamenz, Bautzen, Löbau and Zittau are located in Upper Lusatia in Saxony.
On the right in the panorama we see the replica of the Electoral Saxon postal distance column from the Görlitz Gate standing at the Rynek, which can be traced until 1945, lastly at the district court.
A German archive of the city and regional history of Luban is operated by the Heimatarchiv Lauban in Lower Saxony in Germany.
Amongst the detail images you will find an alternative view of the block from the perspective behind the parked cars.