Town History of Falkenstein
Falkenstein im Vogtland is a small town with just under 8,000 inhabitants in the Vogtland district of Saxony. It was founded in the 13th century at the foot of a castle of the bailiffs of Weida and Plauen. Initially a mining town, Falkenstein transformed itself into a textile workers’ town in the 18th century. The textile industry in Falkenstein was dominated by weavers and, later, by the production of curtains.
In August 1859 there was a devastating fire in Falkenstein which destroyed almost the entire town. As a result, the town was rebuilt with a planne town structure. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, buildings in various styles of the Wilhelminian period (Gründerzeit) and historicism were erected. Here in the Rosa-Luxemburg-Street, the buildings with historicist half-timbered decorative gables are particularly striking. In the course of the reconstruction of the city, a representative town hall with Art Nouveau elements followed in 1903 and in 1912 the railway station building that still exists today.