This is Madrid’s “Plaza Mayor” (Main Square). It was built on the crossing of Toledo and Atocha streets, where the town’s main market was taking place. It was indeed on the outskirts of the medieval city, that’s why this spot was called in the beginning “Plaza del Arrabal” (arrabal meaning poor area, outskirts). Nowadays it is next to the center of the city, and it is one of the main touristic spots of the city. The archery, where the town’s market was placed, now is full with cafeterias and restaurants. The construction started in 1580, when Felipe II commisioned Juan de Herrera (the architect of “El Escorial”) to demolish the old buildings and rebuild the square with a regular planning. It was in 1590 that the main building of the square was finished and until 1619 the square wasn’t completed. The square has suffered 3 fires, and 3 times it has been reconstructed, in 1631, 1670 and 1790. The statue in the middle of the square, depicting Felipe III, was started by Jean Boulogne in 1608 and wasn’t placed in its current space until 1848. This streetline panorama shows all four side views of the square next to each other. See the night time view of Plaza Mayor as well.
This Panorama was captured in October 2011