Neuhauser Strasse in Munich in a street front including the Oberpollinger department store and the Bürgersaal (english: citizen hall). Neuhauser Straße together with its continuation in Kaufinger Strasse (from Karlsplatz to Marienplatz) forms Munichs main shopping street. More streetviews from this area can be found in our archive or in our Munich overview.
The Oberpollinger department store is the largest of its kind in southern Germany and is part of the KaDeWe Group (which also owns the Kaufhaus des Westens in Berlin). The building was errected in 1905 in historicism style after plans of Max Littmann, replacing several earlier buildings. Two of the gabled roofs bear ships as wheather vanes to link it to the Hamburg origins of the owners at the time. The name itself goes back to the Pollinger family which was famous for owning a brewery in this place for centuries.
On the right side we also see the Bürgersaal, also called the Bürgersaalkirche (Bürgersaal Church). It was built in 1709/10 by Giovanni Antonio Viscardi as congregation hall for the Marianische Männerkongregation »Mariä Verkündigung«. Since 1778 the hall was also used as a church. The baroque building consists of an upper and a lower church, which is also visible in the facade structure. Above the entrance portal we see a Madonna with child statue.