This is the southern front of the Mönckebergstrasse between Lange Mühren on the left and Barkhof on the right edge of the panorama. Mönckebergstrasse is regarded to be the most frequented shopping street in Hamburg and hence it is dominated by big commercial buildings or Kontorhäuser (office buildings). The street was created from the end of the 19th century onwards, after the old Gängeviertel quarter in the eastern part of the old town was demolished and a large new shopping street was built here (as a “breakthrough”) together with a new underground line. Under city planning director Fritz Schumacher, great importance was put on a harmonious cityscape and variety through multifaceted facades. The street was named after the former mayor of Hamburg, Johann Georg Mönckeberg, who died in 1908.
Architecture | Levantehaus
In the panorama you can see the modern C&A department store on the far right, the Levantehaus in the middle, the Hammonia House on the left and the Klöpperhaus on the far left. The latter is named after the owner Adolf Klöpper, operator of a wool trading house, and was completed in 1913. The dominating Levantehaus was built in 1911/12 as Hubertushof by the architects Franz Bach and Carl Bensel, at that time mainly as a Kontorhaus. In the 1950s it became the “Philips House”, the Dutch technology group moved in with its headquarters and had music records pressed in the house. Since a conversion at the end of the 1990s, the building has been traversed by a shopping arcade and a 5-star hotel has been created. The artistic design of the arcade includes a frieze of figures of endangered species by the English sculptor Barry Baldwin. In 2000 the Levantehaus was awarded the prize “Hamburg’s most beautiful facade”.
In our archive there are more images to add the street block on the right.Hamburg Streetlines Archive