This is Milam Street in the centre of Columbus, Texas. Columbus is a city in Colorado County, Texas, United States. The city is located about halfway between Houston and San Antonio and is a part of the Greater Houston metropolitan area. Columbus was founded by settlers in 1821 at the shore of the Colorado River. It is one of the oldest towns in Texas. At the time Texas was still part of Mexico and the little settlement (then called “Beason’s Crossing”) played a role in the early history of Texas and during the Texas Revolution. After it was burned down during the revolution, the town was established by European Americans in 1837 and renamed Columbus. It later became the seat of Colorado County, and developed into a center of business and trade for surrounding areas. Today, Columbus is a small city with a population of close to 4,000 residents.
Milam Street is a historic street running north to south through the centre of Columbus, Texas. It starts in the north close to the Colorado River and runs southwards till it meets the State Highway 71 south of the city. The street is known for its Victorian-style homes and buildings that date back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Many of the buildings on Milam Street have been preserved and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Here we see two central blocks of its west side, including the junction with Walnut Street, a part of State Highway 90 crossing the city east to west. The left block lies along a square with the Colorado County Courthouse and the Old Stafford Opera House standing opposite.
Columbus State Bank
On the junction of Milam and Walnut Street we see the historic building of the Columbus State Bank, which is a locally operated financial institution that provides banking services to the residents and businesses of Columbus, Texas. The building is based on the Boedecker building from 1859, but was remodelled when the bank was founded in 1919 and again in 1969, still preserving original walls and parts of the previous structure. The bank maintains several branches in the area, while also supporting the local community through various initiatives and sponsorships.
Left of the bank building we see the two-storey white facade of the Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building. It was errected by Henry M. Ehrenwerth for his mercantile store in 1873-75, using bricks from a local kiln. During the 1880s it housed L.G. Smith’s Red Elk Saloon and Gambling Hall. Sold to James Ramsey in 1896 it became a hardware, implement, and undertaking business. Sold again in 1925 it became home to the hardware firm of Leo L., F.J., and Emil E.J. Untermeyer.
Other notable buildings include the Old Brick Store standing right on the corner of Walnut Street and the Brunson Building further to the righty with the year 1891 on its small gable. This building now houses the “Live Oak Art Center”.
The city is also home to a unique Santa Claus Museum.
This street view is currently unfinished and can be completed in whole or in part upon request. We have documented further street and building elevations from Columbus, Texas, to be completed at a later point.