The eastside of the Marktplatz (marketsquare) of Weimar, Thuringia. Here we can see two notable buildings, the Stadthaus and the Cranachhaus.
The Markt is the centre of the city and its society and here we also find the city hall on its westside, opposite this view. The areas left and right of this street view also belong to the Markt. The residences of Goethe and Schiller, both housing museums today, can be found nearby.
Stadthaus | Cranachhaus
On the left we see the Stadthaus and to its right the Cranachhaus as part of a twin house. The Stadthaus is a renaissance building from the 15th century, which served as the town hall for some years in the 16th century. It was destroyed in WWII but rebuilt in the late sixties and now houses the Tourist Information Centre of Weimar. The Cranachhaus is the left half of a twin house in renaissance style built in 1549 by Nikolaus Gromann. It got its name from its most famous residents, the painters Lucas Cranach the Elder and his son Lucas Cranach the Younger, who both lived here during the 16th century.