The panorama shows the east side of the Rathausplatz (town hall square) in Eckernförde. Eckernförde is a harbor town and former county seat with about 20,000 inhabitants, located on the Baltic Sea north of Kiel in the old Duchy of Schleswig. The Rathausmarkt is the town’s market square and here you will also find the Old Town Hall (at the left edge of the picture), the core of which dates back to the 15th century. Today it houses the Eckernförde Historical Museum.
The buildings in the center of the picture are located between the shopping street Kieler Straße at the back and the Rathausmarkt and consequently have facades in both directions. The Kaufhaus Witt building is situated in the left center of the picture, and the Jacobsen Jeweler building is notable to the right center of the picture.
Kaufhaus Witt was built in 1901 as a new building with a brick look and richly decorated Art Nouveau facades on both sides. Today it houses, among other things, the fashion house scandic way of life.
For the family-owned Jacobsen jewelry store, a new building was erected in 1896/97 in the historicizing, Wilhelminian style. The building, designed by the architect Wilhelm Kruckau, is notable for its oriel and tower-like corners, and its corner situation means that it has storefronts facing in three directions.