Leisnig railway station
The Leisniger Bahnhof (train station) was built in 1867 with the construction of the Borsdorf-Coswig railway line. As Leisnig’s old town with the famous Mildenstein Castle lies on a ridge above the Mulde River, the station was built below the old town in the eastern Mulde valley. The connection to the railway network triggered the development of a separate district here (Bahnhofsvorstadt), characterised by industrialisation.
Development into a cultural train station
After the political changes in the GDR, the Leisnig railway station also went into a period of decline until it became temporarily vacant. After several failed ideas for a revival, the building was taken over in 2020 by a musician’s initiative with the aim of renovating the historic area on the Mulderadweg and transforming it into a music and cultural station (Kulturbahnhof Leisnig). The latest news on the progress of the project can be found on the project website.