A street block front of the eastside of Kettwiger Strasse in Essen in the Ruhr area (Ruhrgebiet). The street is the central high street for shopping of the city. It was named after a former farming community Kettwig, then located south of the city centre.
High Street with Glockenspiel
Kettwiger Straße is the connection from the main railway station to the market and the classic consumer mile of the city of Essen. The most striking feature is the clock chime on the former Deiter business premises. It was installed in 1949 and consists of parts of the original clock game at the former Deiter location at Limbecker Platz, which was destroyed during the war. The building was modernised in 1955-56 and a new carillon tower was added. In 1958 and 1970, the carillon (Glockenspiel) was extended to include movable figures. It has been a listed building since 2017. At the time the panorama was taken, the other tenants in the street block were mainly chain stores: H&M, Stefanel, New Yorker, Peter Hahn, depot, Brax and Pohland.