The Jungfernstieg lies at the southeast shore of the lake Binnenalster, which was created by damming the Alster river during the 13th century. Since then the Jungfernstieg (formerly called Reesendamm) became the first Boulevard of the Hanse-City and was the first street to be bituminised in Germany (1838). Its name results from an old family habit to take the unmarried girls (Jungfern) of the family for a stroll along the river on sundays.
The street front is dominated by prominent commercial buildings, most of them built during the Gründerzeit. Amongst others we can see the Alsterhaus (left of the centre), the Hamburger Hof (in red sandstone), as well as the Heine-Haus and Streit’s Haus (street block on right side).
In the background we can see the St. Michael’s Church (also called Michel) through the street Grosse Bleichen. Further to the left the tower of the Alte Post (old post office) surmounts the Alsterhaus and at the left edge we see the City Hall of Hamburg standing at Rathausmarkt. An expanded version of this panorama including the tower of the City Hall as well as St. Nikolai Church can be seen amongst the detail images for this panorama. Around the lake Binnenalster the Jungfernstieg continues as Ballindamm on the elft and as Neuer Jungfernstieg on the right.Hamburg Streetline Archive