The postal history of Aue
Since 1692, the town of Aue in the Ore Mountains (Erzgebirge) has been connected to the Saxon postal network via the Schneeberg post office. In 1785 there is a travelling post office from Schneeberg via Aue to Schwarzenberg. In 1800, just 10 mail items a week were received in Aue. In 1839, the farmer Gottlieb Walther is the first postal administrator, parallel to the operation of the Blaue Engel. In 1841 there is the first postman, from 1858 the railway post and in 1891 the first telephone system. From 1900, the delivery of money items is carried out by the “money postman” and by 1913 there were already 546 main post offices in Aue.
Today’s main post office is inaugurated in 1913 on what was then Ernst-Geßner-Platz, now Postplatz. At this time, the Aue post office serves post offices in Streitwald, Beutha, Zschocken, Wildbach, Wolfgangmaßen and Wolfsgrün. In 1932, Deutsche Post opens a coach depot for buses in Aue’s Neustadt and the Postplatz becomes a bus station. In 1951, the “passenger bus service” is handed over from the post office to the VVB Kraftverkehr. In 1965, Aue was given the postal code “94”, and in 1993 the current postal code “08280”.
Next to the Hauppost, we see buildings of the Aue volunteer fire brigade at the right edge of the picture. On the left, Poststraße runs past the triangular plot of the post office, in the background we see a Bauhaus-style building, next to it the Café Picknick, which opened in 1955 as “Cafe Warschau”. The name had a sarcastic undertone at the time, as a “Cafe Warschau” of the same name was built by many Saxon construction workers in the newly built Stalinallee in Berlin.
This street view is part of our exhibition project “Stadt.Bild.Aue” for the 850th anniversary of the city of Aue in the Erzgebirge.