The former Gessner factory in Aue is located behind the Wettinerstraße buildings, on a site directly on the Zwickauer Mulde river flowing to the rear. The site, which had been used as an industrial location for centuries, was converted in 2003 and reopened as the Simmel Centre and central shopping centre in Aue (Erzgebirge).
Industrial history of the Gessner factory
Ernst Gessner (1826-1897) founded his textile machinery company in Aue and took over the Holberg cloth factory in 1848. Numerous patents, awards and prizes testify to the inventive spirit and drive of the man who laid the foundation stone for textile machinery manufacturing in Aue. His machines were exported to numerous European countries and also to South America. From 1 July 1948, the company was called VEB Textilmaschinenfabrik Aue (VEB Textima). Our panorama shows the former Gessner factory from the direction of Wettinerstraße.