The Gasworks in Belfast (opened in 1822) was built on land owned by the Marquis of Donegall. The gas produced was used for domestic/industrial uses as well as street lighting, the profits of which helped pay for the Belfast City Hall (opened 1906). By 1945 120,000 people used gas from the site, but demand dropped from the 1960s and production stopped in 1985. The site and buildings were bought by council, central government and the Laganside Corporation in the 1990s and the area was turned into a business park.
Here we see one of the main buildings of the Gasworks with its famous clock tower, situated along Ormeau Road south of Belfast’s City Centre. Find more information about the Gasworks at Culture Northern Ireland.