The Fischauktionshalle (Fish Auction Hall) in Hamburg-Altona had been errected from 1895-96 in the prussian city of Altona, which was still independent from Hamburg then. The city had built a new fishing harbour (Fischereihafen) on the Elbe shore, very close to rivalling Hamburg and its St. Pauli district. The building was errected as a structural steel work with brick walls and is inspired by ancient roman market halls. On its river side there is a landing stage in front, which is used by the municipal ferries of Hamburg. On the backside we find the Grosse Elbstrasse street. The gabled roof on the river side of the Fischauktionshalle bears a small sculpture of the city arms of Altona.
The Fischauktionshalle was heavily destructed during bombings in world war II and afterwards it was used as a storage room. An initiative of citizens of Hamburg (the Volkshaus Fischmarkt eV) lead to the building being listed as a protected monument and saved it from destruction during the 1970s. Later it was renovated and reconstructed by the architects office Talkenberg and in 1984 received a europa nostra heritage prize. Today the Fischauktionshalle is used as an event location for concerts and gastronomy.Hamburg Streetlines Archive