Our panorama presents the complete front of Berlin’s Tucholskystrasse between Oranienburger Strasse (left) and Ziegelstrasse (right). This was first the site of the Berlin Paketpostamt (parcel post office), before the Berlin North Fernsprechamt (Telephone Office) was built between 1926 and 1927 to a design by architect Felix Gentzen. It was built in the imposing expressionist architecture of Art Deco in the brick expressionist style of the 1920s. It is reminiscent of the architecture of the Kontorhausviertel in Hamburg or as we see it in the panorama of the stocking factories in Oberlungwitz.
After the Second World War, the GDR continued to use the telephone office and the GDR Institute for Post and Telecommunications was built on the left side as a closure to Oranienburger Straße. In the course of reunification, the building complex went to Deutsche Telekom and was finally privatised.
In the meantime, the entire complex has been renovated and is part of the Forum on Museum Island and offers office space to IT companies.
On the left edge of the picture we see the New Synagogue, which you can also see in our panorama of Oranienburger Straße. Within our detail photos for the panorama, we also show a view of the opposite side of Tucholskystrasse, in the section between Oranienburger Strasse and Johannisstrasse with the Monbijou pharmacy – we will not publish this panorama independently in the archive for the time being.