The Dittrichring, a part of the Leipziger Ring (the central city circle), between Barfußgässchen (left) and Thomaskirchhof (right). Opposite this street block a small park can be found which is also situated inside the actual broad circle street, which means the facades we see here are not as visible from the circle itself. Up to ca. 1900 older buildings were situated here, including the “Hotel de Saxe” and the building “Zwei goldene Sterne” (“Two golden stars”). However these buildings had their front on the Klostergasse behind and their backs on this side facing the town wall. After abolishing the cities fortifications newer more representative buildings were errected along the city circle. Here we see amongst others the Bankhaus Meyer (on the right corner) and the House of the church (“Matthäihaus”) in the middle. The corner building on the left end of the street block today houses the café “100 Wasser” (a word play on austrian architect and artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser). Next to it Leipzigs’ most frequented pub alley, the Barfußgässchen, leads up to the market square.
This panorama is also a part of our project creating a complete view of the Leipziger Rings.