The Berliner Bahnhof railway station in Großenhain was opened on 17 June 1875 for the newly created Berlin-Dresden railway line. For well over 100 years it was an important passenger stop on the line between Radebeul (towards Dresden) and Elsterwerda (towards Berlin). In 2002, for the State Garden Show (Landesgartenschau) in Großenhain, the station area was redesigned and finally the passenger stop was transferred to the Cottbusser Bahnhof station in Großenhain. The last passenger train stopped here on 13 December 2002. Since then, trains have been routed to Großenhain Cottb Bf. via the connecting line that branches off here.
The Cottbusser station is much more centrally located directly west of the centre of Großenhain, while the Berliner station is 550 metres further northwest on Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße as the crow flies. Today the building is used as a private residence.