This eye-catching building along Benedixstrasse in Leipzig’s Gohlis district has a long history in the manufacture of flavors. The building complex was constructed in two phases in 1910 and 1912. The architect Clemens Thieme was responsible for the first section facing Virchowstrasse on the right in the panorama, while Paul Augustin built the second section towards Etkar-André-Strasse on the left. In the design, which can also be seen in a second front on Virchowstraße, we recognize a wealth of forms ranging from Wilhelminian historicism to Art Nouveau.
The client was the company Oehme & Baier, which was active in the production of flavours, especially for confectionery and liqueur production. In GDR times, the company became VEB Aromatic, so that the building was known for decades as the Aromafabrik. The second lettering on the building indicates that the company operated a second production facility in Warnsdorf, now in the Czech Republic (on the Czech-Saxon border near Zittau). After the reunification, the building was converted into a residential and nursing home by the Alloheim company around 2000.