The town of Aue in the Erzgebirge developed into a mining town from the 15th century onwards, due to nearby tin, silver, iron and cobalt ore deposits. The Altmarkt is considered the first settlement center of the town and was granted market rights by the Saxon elector in 1627. For a long time, it retained its low-rise buildings character, and until the early 20th century, the town hall stood here. During this time, the south side of the Altmarkt in Aue, which is visible here, was also redesigned. This resulted in the construction of commercial buildings and department stores, most of them in a late historicism style. These included splendid oriels and roof landscapes that characterize the cityscape. Since the 1930s, a Christmas market typical of the Ore Mountains has been held on the Altmarkt.
Three traffic routes meet at the Altmarkt, the B101 coming from the southeast from Schwarzenberg, as well as the roads to the northwest to Schneeberg and to the southwest to the Vogtland. On the right we see the Sparkasse building on the other side of Alfred-Brodauf-Straße. The left half of the panorama is already off the Altmarkt on Schwarzenberger Strasse, which leads to the southeast.