The Altmarkt (english: old market square) is the centre of the historical old town of Schmalkalden. Here we have a streetview of its west side with the Church St Georg on the right and the town hall of Schmalkalden in the centre. On the left we see timber-framed buildings running down the street Auer Gasse. Between the town hall and the church we look through Mohrengasse towards the church yard (Kirchhof). Schmalkalden is also a city known for its half-timbered buildings which can be seen left and right of the town hall.
The Rathaus Schmalkalden (Town Hall) is a complex of three buildings in different architectural styles. On the left we have a green facade building from 1906 in historicism style. In the centre there is the “Steinerne Kemenate”, the original town hall building from 1419, and on the right we have the north building with late gothic elements. The historical Kemenate made history as the founding and meeting place of the Schmalkaldic League (1530-1543). Today one can still find the coat of arms of each member of the League inside the foyer of the town hall – as well as a large cityscape of Schmalkalden in 1600.
City Church Sankt Georg
The main church St Georg was built 1437-1500 and is regarded one of the most splendid late gothic churches of Thuringia. Here, in 1537, a number of important theologists of its time met with Martin Luther publishing his Smalcaldic Articles here.